10 Questions To Ask Your Lawyer Before You Sign Them For Your Case
Hiring a lawyer can be quite a handful, especially if you are from the U.S., where 70% of the college graduates are law graduates. You never know what is going to happen next, so it is best to get in touch with a lawyer. There are certain questions to ask your lawyer that you should know about.
Before hiring any lawyer, you must ask a few questions to make sure that the lawyer understands your problems and can work on them.
Before knowing the questions to ask a lawyer, you need to realize the gravity of the problem you are dealing with. You need to make sure that your lawyer is competent enough to deal with your legal case.
If you are dealing with a dispute, you will need a business lawyer; if you are being charged with a criminal charge, you need a criminal lawyer. The kind of lawyer you need depends on the situation and the charges you are facing. But the questions to ask lawyers remain the same, be it any lawyer. In this article, I will tell you the questions to ask your lawyer.
- 1 10 Questions To Ask Your Lawyer
- 1.1 1. Ask The Lawyer About The Number Of Years Spent By Him/Her In Practicing Law
- 1.2 2. Ask Him/Her About The Types Of Clients He Deals With
- 1.3 3. Ask Him/Her About The Types Of Cases He Handles
- 1.4 4. Ask Him/Her About The Methods He Uses To Win A Difficult Case
- 1.5 5. Ask Him/Her About The Cases He Had Represented That Were Similar To Your Case
- 1.6 6. Ask Him/Her What Other Special Skill Set Does He Possess, Apart From A Law Degree
- 1.7 7. Ask Him/Her About The Fees And Other Expenses
- 1.8 8. Ask Him/Her about His Office Address And His Place
- 1.9 9. Ask Him/Her About The Likely Outcome Of The Case
- 1.10 10. Ask Him/Her How Often Are You Going To Hear From Him
- 2 Final Thoughts
10 Questions To Ask Your Lawyer
Note that your lawyer might charge you a consultation fee while asking the top questions before you sign them for your case. After getting the answers to these questions, you will be able to decide if you want to want that particular lawyer to defend you in a court of law.
To make sure, just write down the ten questions on a piece of paper so that you do not forget.
1. Ask The Lawyer About The Number Of Years Spent By Him/Her In Practicing Law
This is the first and one of the most important questions to ask your lawyer. Of course, it is natural for you to know how long has been in this business. If you are facing some serious charge, then choosing a veteran lawyer who has years of experience would be good.
Even in this modern-day and age, newly graduate young lawyers are competent enough.
2. Ask Him/Her About The Types Of Clients He Deals With
This is probably the most underrated question. As you are a potential client, it is your right to know what clients he deals with. For instance, if you are having a dispute with your friend regarding your business and the lawyer whom you are questioning deals with only clients that are looking to get divorced, he may not be the lawyer you are looking for. Consider this one of the important questions to ask your lawyer.
3. Ask Him/Her About The Types Of Cases He Handles
You would definitely want to know the lawyer’s field of expertise before you give him the authority to deal with your case. It is very important for lawyers to be devoted to a particular field.
Handling too many cases from different fields is not good for either you or the lawyer.
4. Ask Him/Her About The Methods He Uses To Win A Difficult Case
This totally depends on the case you are dealing with. For instance, if you are dealing with a business dispute case, then you need your lawyer to be extremely aggressive.
However, if you are dealing with your divorce, then your lawyer being too aggressive would not be good since your children would also be involved.
5. Ask Him/Her About The Cases He Had Represented That Were Similar To Your Case
Talking about the questions to ask your lawyer, do not shy away from asking this; maybe this question would not matter, maybe he laughs it away, but this is important for your peace of mind. Ask him how many such cases he won.
6. Ask Him/Her What Other Special Skill Set Does He Possess, Apart From A Law Degree
Even though this might soon seem like an important question, it is worth asking. Something these special skill sets can contribute to a win or a loss in the court of law.
This becomes very important when you are dealing with a DUI case. Handling a DUI case requires a lot of effort on the lawyer’s part. He needs to be street smart.
7. Ask Him/Her About The Fees And Other Expenses
It is better to get this question out in the open in the very beginning; lawyers often have hidden charges and other miscellaneous charges. This is one of the most important questions to ask your lawyer.
It is very important to make sure if you can afford that lawyer or not. While asking this question, you will also know the different types of payment methods he accepts, whether he accepts checks or not.
8. Ask Him/Her about His Office Address And His Place
If you are meeting the lawyer for the first time and that too at a known place such as a coffee shop or a bar, it is important for you to make sure that you know the details of his place of residence and his office. This is one of those questions to ask your lawyer.
The reason is, you will be required to go to his office many times during the time of your case. Sometimes his office may not be open. So you might have to go to his place to discuss the details of the case.
9. Ask Him/Her About The Likely Outcome Of The Case
In order to make sure that he is the best lawyer, ask him what he thinks is going to be the likely outcome of the case. As a lawyer, he would give a very diplomatic answer, but it is up to you to get his honesty out of a stomach. For instance, if you are going through a divorce, you would want the lawyer to tell you beforehand how good or bad things look like.
10. Ask Him/Her How Often Are You Going To Hear From Him
You need to make sure that the lawyer you hire is capable of communicating well with you. Communication is the key to solving all the problems in the world. You would want to know how frequently you will be able to give you the updates. This is probably one of the least important questions to ask your lawyer, but you should ask it nonetheless.
So there you have it, those were the ten questions to ask your lawyer. I hope that you have found this article informative. I also wish you the very best for your case, hoping you could come out of it victorious.
Read Also –